Sunday, November 9, 2014

Simple Pleasures

           It is quite difficult for me to find silence and solitude, as I have three siblings who constantly follow me around to the point where I feel as if I have no privacy or they just loudly goof around and provide me with no silence, whatsoever. I also have two parents who keep nagging at me to finish my homework or do chores.  Sometimes, I wish I can go somewhere isolated where I can feel free in every possible way, and never get hurt. I wish I can have magical solutions to my problems, but yet I refuse to believe in magic. It is easier to have me hate something than believe in them. My aim for this post is to write down what I see and what I feel in the best and simplest way. 
            I was  babysitting my little brother, Chris. He was sitting on the couch, playing a game on my mother's phone and since I had this blog assignment to post on being a transcendentalist for half an hour, why not do him a favor and bring him along as well. I took my mother's phone away from my brother and placed it alongside mine on a high shelf and out we went. For the first five minutes, he would not stop crying and honestly,  I wanted to shove a sock in his mouth, but after a while he accepted the fact that we were not going inside and sat beside me. He probably thought I was crazy as I was cautiously trying to understand my environment. Surely, he did not understand what I was trying to do, but too bad. He was sitting beside me sulking, but he was quiet and that was all I needed in that precise moment: silence, because the quieter it was, the more I could hear and observe...
            I appreciate my neighborhood, I truly do. It is not completely isolated, but it feels as if it is, because of its constant quietude. The street  I live on is quite mysterious as it is always calm, reminding me of a certain saying, "the calm before the storm," but yet, my street also holds this sense of beauty. At night, the shadows are one of the most  impressive things that stand out on my street. They end up making everything look more peculiar. The view from my house is phenomenal. I get to see a portion of the beautiful city, Burbank and I can also look at the massive houses that tower above me. One house always specifically stands out, as it looks like a castle. Another house a little further to the left side has this tree in its backyard, which always captivates my attention.  It holds this sense of mystery and impossibility to it. One day, I wish to boldly walk to that mysterious tree, as if it's an impossible door. As I sat there listening to the chirping of the crickets, I could not help, but to also look up at the stars. Just the sight of them made me want to dream. And as if on time, I looked  beside me and saw my little brother fast asleep, with his tiny little head leaning against my left shoulder. 

1 comment:

  1. I actually laughed while reading this since I have been to your house many times and have experienced your daily surroundings. Chris can get quite wild but that makes him so much cuter. Looking forward to visiting you and your family again soon! Love spending time with you guys! Fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete