Saturday, August 9, 2014

"Among other things, you'll find that you're not the first one who was ever confused and frightened and even sickened by human behavior."

My favorite book is The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger. I love books that I can relate to, ones where I become one of the main characters, but everyone feels that particular way whilst reading the books they become fascinated with. Reading The Catcher in the Rye, I felt as if I somehow found one of my many missing shattered pieces. Everyone has their broken pieces which are left behind and forgotten. It depends on the person and when they will choose to seek them back. Like Holden Caulfield, I used to believe in the idea that I was broken and could never be fixed. Imagine a shattered person forced to grow up much sooner than all else. Lacking self-esteem and feeding on the misery of those around them, in attempt to comfort their own, growing up in a wicked and twisted world, always knowing that there is no bright side, and that life will never get better for them, and wondering if it is possible for someone to genuinely want to help them. That is the sort of life Holden lived, although I feel as if I might have exaggerated a bit. The story is narrated by a young boy named Holden Caulfield. The plot revolves around an exceedingly judgmental and apathetic Holden trying to figure out what his feelings are and what causes him to feel that way. He judges to such an immense amount that at times it becomes extremely funny. It is truly hard for me to explain these indescribable feelings this book has over me. Even though the situation Holden was put in was much worse, I felt as if I could relate to him and his thoughts and feelings. This book is my favorite because it is one of the few implements that give me an insight on who I wish to be. I wish to make people happy before their time runs out. I wish to help people live rather than only exist. I want them to be lying down on their deathbed without having any regrets. I wish for all this, while remaining nameless. I wish to be a secret hero. Reading The Catcher in the Rye is one of the few resources that has helped me embark on the endless voyage of discovering myself. 


No comments:

Post a Comment